Thursday 10 July 2014

Home sweet home? Pondering life in NYC versus Miami

The famed Russ & Daughters now has a cafe. The latkes and lox are to die for.

If you recall, not too long ago I wrote a post declaring my unwavering love for New York City. At the time, I had been living in Miami for around six months, and I couldn't wait to return to Manhattan for the summer. Yes, I missed the city.

During the two years I spent living in NYC, I thought the city could do no wrong. It was perfect. Smells? What smells? Overcrowded? Nah, it's energetic! I was so happy to finally be immersed in the fashion industry and living in my dream city that I only saw the positives.

Come to think of it, I had exactly the right attitude, but unfortunately I didn't bring that attitude along with me when I moved to Miami. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to be there, but I spent my first month or so thinking about all the ways Miami wasn't Manhattan rather than embracing its differences. While I adapted quickly to the idyllic "winter" climate and the beautiful beaches, I resisted having to drive everywhere and quickly became overwhelmed by the task of setting up a new apartment and routine.

Transitions and changes have always been challenging for me, and leaving a comfortable NYC lifestyle I had worked so hard to create was tough. At 26 years-old, I know myself well enough to understand I require routine in order to feel peaceful and happy.

In any case, it wasn't long before I got myself on a schedule in Miami and grew to truly appreciate the luxuries of living down south. Funny how humans adapt to new situations, isn't it? My regret is that I didn't let myself enjoy the new chapter in my life from the get go and that I didn't have the right mindset initially. You live you learn, right?

As I write this, it's been a little over three weeks since my boyfriend and I have been living across from Bryant Park in Manhattan. And guess what? Yup, I miss Miami. During my first week, I couldn't stop talking about all the ways New York City didn't measure up to the Magic City. Now, for the first time in my life I actually get it when people say they wouldn't want to live in the Big Apple, whereas before I just assumed there had to be something a little off about them.

What do you mean I have to walk in the sweltering heat with my groceries? Why are sweaty people bumping into me? Where's my air conditioned car? My ocean view? Funny how humans repeat the same mistakes over and over again, isn't it?

Well, maybe I've learned a little something because I was able to catch myself before I got too far down my path of comparisons and homesickness. This time it was also clear what I needed to do: I had to create a new NYC routine to help me enjoy all that this unique and wonderful city has to offer. 

So, slowly that's what I'm attempting to do. Meanwhile, the experience of leaving Manhattan for Miami, only to return half a year later has taught me that nowhere I live is going to be 100 percent perfect. Some places might be better than others, sure, but if you have the right people around you and the will to succeed wherever you are -- anywhere can feel like home.

xoxo

Val 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.