Tuesday 29 April 2014

New York, I love you: an ode to the city that has my heart

I love you Washington Square Park.                   

If you've missed me these last few months, trust me when I say I've missed you more. The thing is, I kiiiinda found myself leaving NYC and relocating to Miami, and the experience -- while amazing -- definitley threw my routine off.

Rest assured, I promise you copious posts on life down south. But first, first I must pay my dues to the Empire State, which I'll be returning to for two months starting in June. Hurray!

NYC, what can I say, except that I really, really, truly, deeply, madly love you.

I love that regardless of the hour, or the day of the week -- people are ALWAYS out eating, drinking, and quite simply -- celebrating life. You can have a full night out on the town and be in bed by 11:00 pm. Trust me, the city does sleep.

I love that I can go to a yoga class, get a haircut, a manicure, pedicure, wax, pick-up some dinner -- and all within a two block radius.

I love that I can start the day off in the East Village, and quickly make my way (via foot) to the West Village, all the while passing through charming Nolita, NoHo, and SoHo. Each neighbourhood has something unique to offer, and how perfect is it not having to settle for strolling through just one?

I love that people constantly talk about what and where they're going to eat like there's nothing more important. Guess what? There isn't. I fit in from day one.
* I realize there are some exceptions: natural disasters, births, deaths etc.

Yes, I love the subway. Dear subway, you've gotten me everywhere, and for the most part -- on time. And I never had to sit through traffic. Yellow line: you will always hold a special place in my heart. I rode you to my first ever NYC internship at 10Eleven in Bryant Park back in '09, followed by Parsons, Miu Miu, DKNY and Harper's Bazaar.

I love how nearly all restaurant chains operate with military precision, and at a speed that's, well, I have no words.

I love how unpretentious some of your most gourmet restaurants are, and how I never felt rushed despite the massive lineup outside.

I love so many of your restaurants. This deserves its own post.

I love how individual beauty and quirks are celebrated here. More on this to come.

I love that everyone's a doer. How else can you survive in this mecca of organized chaos?

I love that people appear to be perpetually dating despite how busy they may be. Online dating is the norm, and no one's shy to discuss their good, bad and ugly escapades.

I love the bright, fun, ambitious and kind girlfriends I've been lucky enough to make in New York City.

Finally, I love that I came to Manhattan hoping to meet the man of my dreams (pardon the cliche), only to meet someone that exceeded all of them. And then I moved to Miami...









1 comment:

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.