Sunday 10 November 2013

Words of wisdom from a 26-year-old

Doling out wisdom from my high horse 

Twenty-six. I'm officially closer to 30 than I am to 20, but you know what? I'm A-ok with that. Why you ask? Well firstly, I eat a lot of "superfoods," so really, I'm actually getting younger by the day, perhaps even by the minute. Secondly, 25 was better than 24, therefore basic math dictates 26 has to eclipse 25, right? Right? And last but certainly not least, with each year that goes by, I continue to amass more wisdom, meaning it's only a matter of time before I'll reach Dalai Lama status, and what more could one want out of life than that?

Though I am not quite on the level as His Holiness, yet, I love using my birthday as an excuse to get on my high-horse share some of the knowledge and insights I've gleaned over the past year. So now, without further ado, here are some words of wisdom from a 26-year-old (FYI: that's me!).


"Ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country." In case you're wondering, the answer is no, I did not come up with this quote, it's actually from J.F.K's inaugural address. Basically, over the last year, with the help of inten-sati classes (the affirmation shouting mind- body workout), I've realized how often I play the victim card. I'm constantly getting upset over something someone did or didn't do, said or didn't say, and I get so wrapped up in placing blame on others that I forget to stop and think about what I can do to affect the situation.

This can mean a seemingly trivial gesture as smiling at the rude coffee shop cashier, or something bigger like calling up your best friend to see how she's doing instead of fretting over why she hasn't bothered to ring you. Since we can only truly control ourselves, why not make like Gandhi, and "be the change [we] wish to see in the world." Trust me, you'll never feel badly about doing something good for others. 


The grass is always greener on the other side, and the sooner we can accept that, and move forward, the better off we'll be. When I was working full-time, all I could think about was how I have no time to get anything done and how annoying it was to have each day follow a similar pattern. But sure enough, as soon as my contract was up, I found myself missing my routine and wondering how I would fill up my days. Sound familiar? 


For many of us, having the grass-is-always-greener syndrome is a normal facet of life, and I've come to understand there's no need to feel guilty about it. Once I accepted there's nothing wrong with missing the very things I was complaining about, I was able to focus on my present situation and think about what would suit me the best going forward. At the end of the day, there's always one patch of grass that's just a little more green than the other. 


Coconut oil works wonders on dry, damaged hair, and Argan oil makes your skin glow. As much as I love my ombré hair, after coloring it for the third time, my ends were seriously fried. Desperate, I decided to do a coconut oil hair mask which has been all the rage since Miranda Kerr admitted to being a fan. The result: aside from making my hair smell delicious, it totally salvaged my damaged locks, now if only I can stick to doing it regularly.  


The key is to buy extra virgin organic coconut oil, and to put about 1/2 a tablespoon's worth on your ends (preferably on dry hair), then tie your hair back and cover with a shower cap and a warm towel. Leave it in for 20-30 minutes and make sure to wash your hair very thoroughly afterwards. Do this treatment once a week to once a month depending on how dry your strands are. 



Living Foods Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is amazing for dry, damaged hair

A little Argan oil (I like Josie Maran's Organic Argan Oil), goes a long way. I've started applying a couple of drops to my face each night before moisturizing, and I swear the next day my skin has this dewy glow. I also like to rub a little on my split ends and cuticles, though I can't say I've seen results just yet. 


If you're not excited to go on a second date with someone, don't bother going. I think that one speaks for itself. 


Fear is the enemy. Every day, the toughest challenge for me is overcoming my fears. Apart from being terrified of pigeons and falling flat on my face down a flight of stairs, I fear failure, change, of offending someone, and a host of other things. My knee-jerk reaction in most circumstances is to say "I can't", or "I'm afraid," or "what if." 


Being in a relationship with someone I love is amazing, but sometimes I get so overwhelmed by my fears of things going wrong that I turn into the pathetic version of myself I so deeply despise. The thing is, fear is not the path to personal or professional happiness -- quite the opposite. For me, it all boils down to catching myself when I'm about to act out of fear and reminding myself that nothing good can ever come of it. It's about changing my inner dialogue from "I can't" to "I will" and focusing on the present. Easier said than done, but I be tryin'. 


Surround yourself with people who support you and inspire you to be better. You know that friend who is always a Negative Nancy and is constantly trying to bring others along for her miserable ride? Yeah, you should try to see her as little as possible because you've got bigger things to do, namely focusing on how you can be the best version of yourself. 


Ditch the dating rules and listen to your gut. It didn't take me too long to arrive at the conclusion that following some arbitrary dating rules was futile, but sadly it didn't mean I stopped second guessing myself entirely and wondering whether I was doing the "right " thing. 


For instance, after going on an incredible first date, the guy asked me to come out with him and his friends the next night. Worried I might come across as too available, I wasn't sure if I should go. When I asked a trusted advisor, his answer was: "Val, it's your life, not a game of chess; do what you want." The bottom line was I wanted to go, and so I did. Five months later, we're still together and I couldn't be happier. So there you have it. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.