Tuesday 17 September 2013

The perception principle: why our thoughts are so powerful

The following is a true story that happened to an older friend of mine. One day, a woman, let's call her V, walks into a grocery store only to spot none other than her ex-husband's former mistress, M. Their eyes meet, and as V begins walking in M's direction, M naturally starts to make a beeline for the nearest exit. With speed on her side, V catches up to M, but rather than attempting any sort of verbal or physical abuse, V proceeds to hug M, and, get this -- thanks her. More specifically, V thanks M for being the catalyst that ended a miserable marriage, and consequently enabled her to go on to realize her full potential and find a meaningful and healthy relationship. To say M was flabbergasted would be an understatement.

Undoubtedly, M caused V a lot of pain and sadness, but V made a conscious choice to focus on the positive role M played in her life. Forget about taking the high-road and all that other virtuous stuff, changing her perception of the situation was a way for V to let go of her anger and hate --- sentiments that would weigh anyone down. With that, she was able to move on and cause a positive change in her life.

I had heard this story a while ago, but was only able to fully register its significance when I was bedridden for a few days last week due to terrible back pain, that in all likelihood was triggered by stress. See, I didn't get a job I so desperately wanted, and while there's hope another position will open up soon, I was profoundly disappointed.

In the midst of my self-pity party, it dawned on me that I could change how I was feeling simply by altering my perception of my circumstances. As soon as I started to believe things didn't pan out at this time, not because I suck, but because there's a better opportunity for me on the horizon, my back pain subsided (I kid you not). Rejection still blows, but I'm so much more effective at searching for a job when I don't associate the process with failure, but rather as a necessary means to a (hopefully) better end. And who knows, maybe in the meantime I'll have a eureka moment, and I'll invent an app or something.

What a eureka moment would look like. Hair Color by Nuda; makeup Annie Young Cosmetiques.  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.