Monday 14 July 2014

Faking it: would you buy a counterfeit purse?

Real or fake? The Hermes "Evelyn" bag 

I was 14 years old when I bought my first and possibly last fake handbag. It was a miniature Louis Vuitton and it looked pretty darn good. Back then, however, when girls in my high school carried designer bags, it was generally assumed they weren't the real deal. Hence, I wasn't trying to pass it off as an actual LV, I was simply partaking in the trend du jour.

Today, I'm the proud owner of several authentic designer bags; each of which was chosen after much (too much?) careful deliberation. I love them all. Still, I couldn't help but feel annoyed when my not even two-year-old Prada tote had to be sent for repairs totalling close to $100. Part of the reason you (or at least I) pay top dollar for a brand name is to ensure you're getting a certain level of quality.

Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from trolling the aisles at Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys last week for a new cross-body bag following a generous gift from my grandmother. I quickly became enamoured with a black and gold studded version from Balenciaga. But because I didn't really need it, the thought of spending $1500 on a little, albeit stunning accessory made me uneasy. In case you haven't noticed, prices on designer goods have become quite simply: outrageous. It's madness I tell you, madness!

And because things like this always happen, the very same day I was mulling over getting the Balenciaga, I received a phone call that would completley change the way I look at high-end pocket books. Someone with impecable sartorial taste informed me of a guy in Manhattan who sells the kind of fakes that even ladies who would never dream of rocking counterfeit goods are snapping them up. The request was to buy her an Hermès Évelyne, a leather bag with a long canvas strap and perforated "H" logo. It retails for close to $3000, but this purveyor of fakes was offering it for $385. 

With my visiting parents in tow, we went to see these "good" fakes for ourselves. Neither one of us, with our discerning eyes were able to tell the difference. It was wild. This guy also sold Goyard totes for $150 that were right on the money, not to mention countless other major labels. I knew such top notch counterfeit merchandise existed, but it was different having it in front of me.

Since then, I've been wondering whether every Hermès or Goyard purse I spot on the street is actually a fake. Suddenly, it felt like I was let in on a well kept secret. Designer style without breaking the bank? Ooh the temptation. So now I was faced with a dilemma: to buy or not to buy the fake handbag?

Having worked in fashion for the last seven years and studying at Parsons has made me accutely aware of the amount of work that goes into designing and manufacturing clothing and accessories. I have tremendous respect for the industry, and I've learned plenty about the negative impact the counterfeit business has on it.

The fraud factor was also weighing heavily on my decision, i.e, would I feel like a fraud carrying around a fake? I can't explain it, but every time I wear my Prada tote I get a little rush of excitement thinking about the day I spoiled myself and bought it. I also enjoy marvelling at the level of craftsmanship (repairs notwithstanding).

I'll admit it: I'm affected by designer labels and their marketing. And yes, they do have a power over me which makes me justify paying crazy amounts of money on their goods. At the same time, as  I mentioned previously, the prices right now are insane and justifying them is becoming a challenge.

That said, $385 is a significant amount of money, even if it's to buy a purse that looks identical to a $3000 one. Perhaps I'm better off using that money to buy a gorgeous pair of shoes in lieu of supporting the counterfeit trade? Or, you know, I could save it. Bottom line: I'm still thinking about whether or not to get the bag and I'd love to hear your opinions. Would you buy a really well done counterfeit purse? Has the so-called stigma associated with wearing counterfeit bags diminished?

xoxo

Val







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.