Wednesday 21 May 2014

Summer style: 5 things I can't wait to wear this season

With all due respect, it's been summer weather in Miami pretty much since I moved here in November. That being said, most of my readers dwell in chillier parts, hence my decision to write about my summer wardrobe now. Besides, most of these items are pretty new anyways since now is the time retailers carry the season's clothes. So here's a little shopping inspiration for y'all.

Happy almost summer!

xoxo

Val

1. Tibi cut out dress

The neckline features a hidden zipper  

I love the white contrast in the back and how the zipper emphasizes the spine's natural curve


Tibi designer Amy Smilovic creates clothing that's feminine with just the right amount of edginess. The brand's cocktail and day dresses are my favorite in the contemporary market, and the one above is the epitome of summer chic. The playful stripes and cotton fabric mean I can easily wear it during the day with flat sandals or ballerinas, while its cut out details along the midriff and snug fit mean all I need is a pair of heels to make it work for date night. Packing light for summer getaways suddenly doesn't seem as cumbersome.

Helpful hint: Often I find by the time 50% off sales start, sizes on popular items are scarce. However, if you find something you absolutely adore, many online and in-store retailers, including Tibi.com, have friends and family events where the entire collection is 25% off. So be sure to sign up for emails from retailers you like.

2. J. Crew high waisted floral print shorts


Going for the green on green look with a silk Equipment tank

High waisted shorts and their sartorial companion crop tops, are ubiquitous this spring/summer 2014. These shorts from J.Crew have a bold floral print that keeps them from starting too far into preppy territory, and there's a zipper down the back to further accentuate the derriere. When I'm not inclined to highlight my tush, I'll team them with a loosely tucked in tank or tee. But on days when I'm feeling more adventurous, I'll work summer's premier trend and throw on a loose crop top.

3. Splendid striped bikini 

Splendid bikini

Despite living in Miami, you'd be shocked by how little time I spend at the beach. So to answer your question, no, I'm not fully at easy in a two-piece, and yes, it's still hard to pick out a flattering and comfortable style. Until recently I had no idea Splendid made bathing suits, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover they offer several fun options in the $100 range. I chose this one because I love the contrasting, slightly sporty orange straps, and because the ruffle creates the illusion of a fuller bust. Bingo. Instead of buying the bottoms modelled above, I chose a solid orange pair with fuller coverage. As sexy as string bikinis are, I find they untie too often and tend to bunch up in the front and back.

4. Any pair of Chloé shoes


Tell me these Chloe wedges aren't perfection, I dare you.

I'll admit it: I'm completely and utterly obsessed with Chloé shoes. I'm literally like a kid in a candy shop when I'm in their proximity, and choosing which single pair to buy come sale time is arguably one of the toughest decisions I make all year. They're a fortune, but they're ridiculously comfortable, AND gorgeous. Plus, they last for several seasons. So come Memorial Day designer sales, I hope to get my hands on my Cinderella Chloé shoes. No, I sadly don't own the pair above.

5. Breton Stripe Saint James Shirt


The Guildo R A style from Saint James

Breton stripe shirts are quintessentially French, and Saint James has been making the iconic style for over 150 years. Since the 19th century the brand has been manufacturing its goods in Saint James, a small town in Normandy. The combed cotton tops were originally designed to protect Breton fisherman from the elements, and though I'm not spending my days at sea, I love the shirt's durability and rich history. The somewhat boxy fit of the above silhouette (Guildo R A) works great with skinny jeans or denim short shorts for an easy summer look. So simple, so French, so chic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.