Thursday 13 June 2013

The big bang theory: or why I'm jealous of Lauren Conrad

Lauren Conrad's chic new look is giving me serious bang envy

I've never looked to Lauren Conrad for fashion inspiration, but her recent Marie Claire cover stirred a longing within me: to bring back my bangs. Seeing LC in her full fringed glory made me miss the days I too had bangs. I've gone without for about six months now, but like an ex you can't seem to fully let go of -- such is how I feel about bangs.

I had bangs throughout most of my childhood, but following a traumatic experience before the fifth grade when I decided to play the role of hairdresser, they didn't return till I was 16. Who was my inspiration then? Why Mischa Barton of course, she of "The O.C." fame. Since part of the reason my boyfriend at the time was attracted to me was his major crush on Ms. Barton, the bangs stayed and I never looked back.  They danced around from full frontal fringe to side bangs and back again, but a constant they remained. And then it happened; between a summer of hellish NYC heat and their owner's laziness (bangs are a B%&$# to maintain), they grew out, and -- poof -- just like that they were gone.

We women have such an attachment to our hair; one might go so far as to say it acts as a protective helmut from the dangerous world surrounding us. But as I "grow up", I find myself wanting them less to hide under (oh those wonderful teenage years), but rather to add structure to my face and give me a more distinct look. Also, about twice a year I simply get bored with my hair and start itching for a change; my last big move was lightening the ends, and like a good addict I keep wanting to go back for more -- i.e. go lighter and lighter.

Part of what's stopping me from making the cut now is the high maintenance aspect, as well as (hold the judgements), the fact lately I've been getting the sense bangs fall under the category of "girl pretty" and not "guy pretty". You know, kind of like boyfriend jeans or Peter Pan collars. Deep down I believe none of that should matter if you've got confidence and a killer smile (and it's not like I remained chaste while having bangs), yet it remains a deciding factor.

At the end of the day, I'm simply unsure what look suits me better, so I'm asking YOU for input. In fact, you've already helped, because in writing this I've realized perhaps my main problem is taking life too seriously (umm, I compared bangs to an ex-boyfriend). Thankfully, hair grows, and having an on-again, off-again relationship with a hairstyle is significantly less perilous than a romantic relationship of a similar nature.

Full bangs
Side bangs
Bye bye bangs (I realize this isn't the greatest shot) 

1 comment:

  1. BANGS BANGS BANGS, put them back! xo

    ReplyDelete

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.