Wednesday 26 June 2013

Guy pretty versus girl pretty: can your clothes be both?

Perennially stylish Diane Kruger wears a Calvin Klein look that's both guy and girl pretty. 

Having time to spare before a first date a while ago, I decided to poll three male friends about what I should wear. Being guys 'n' all, I kept the options straightforward: skirt, shorts or a dress. The skirt got one vote, but shorts (read: short shorts) won. So what did I do? Luckily, I had just become the proud owner of a Tibi skort, proving with a little creativity, everyone can be a winner. It was short (enough), comfortable (comfort is key), and I teamed it with a plain black pocket tee and super-high wedges. The verdict: compliments, followed by subsequent dates. 

But here's the caveat: when I posed the same question to a female friend, her knee-jerk reaction was  "dress." Muy interesante. It's no secret there are outfits that are strictly girl pretty, meaning while women will appreciate it, the look will be completely lost on guys. Usually such ensembles fall under the category of super trendy, highly embellished and/or too long and/or loose. For more information, please see: Man Repeller.

My friends and I often discuss the subject of whom do women dress for: themselves? other women? or men? First and foremost, I dress for myself, because if I don't like my appearance, I couldn't care less whether others do; and then, depending on where I'm going and whom I'm going to be with, I make a conscious choice to dress either for men or women. Yet lately, as I strive to streamline my wardrobe and make lasting fashion purchases, I've been thinking: can you dress for both equally without sacrificing your personal style? According to yours truly, the answer is a resounding yes. However, for those of us who get giddy over maxi skirts and frilly blouses, it does require some effort.

Allow me to let you in on a secret: men like women's bodies, so if you want a male-approved look, show (some) of it off.  Here's another secret: women also like when women flaunt what they've got, provided it's tasteful and feels authentic. For instance, while some dames can pull off a body-hugging short dress and look decidedly elegant (i.e., Gwyneth Paltrow)  -- my discomfort would instantly give me away. That said, I have no reservations exposing my legs, I would just choose a dress/shorts/skirt that suits my style, and I'd keep my top simple, but not plain because I'm a sucker for interesting draping and details, and I'd make sure it was neither too tight nor too loose. Think a fitted black leather mini, with a half-tucked black and white striped T, high heels and a jean jacket you can easily toss on and off.

Now you're probably thinking, okay Val, so let's say my clothes can do double duty and charm both sexes, what happens if on a given day I'm leaning more towards one than the other? I'm so glad you asked because this is a quandary that's easily solved by none other than a gal's best friend: accessories. Therefore, while both guys and gals will appreciate the aforementioned outfit with heels, I know ladies will get a kick out of seeing it paired with chic sneakers, oxfords, or riding boots, whereas the fellas would prefer a single sole pump. And while costume jewelry tends to be wasted on men, even the simplest sartorial choice will earn a gal pal's seal of approval if it's topped off with some stellar bling. Now go and get yourself some well-deserved compliments.

XOXO

Val


1 comment:

  1. Vali! I love your writing, but I would challenge you to think about what gender preference/sexuality assumptions you're making as you write this, and who you include/exclude. When you say things like, "men like women's bodies" you are assuming that ALL men like women, when this is most definitely not the case. You have also framed this argument as a duality of genders, when there are a TON of people who identify as gender-queer or somewhere along the gender binary spectrum. Again, food for thought, and we can talk about this further, but I wanted to point it out before I forgot.
    xox
    M

    ReplyDelete

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.