Wednesday 5 October 2011

Val, where do I go for a casual, inexpensive, but delicious dinner on a weeknight in Montreal?

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but somehow I've become the person my friends and family call/text/skype to ask questions that always begin with: "Val, where do I . . ." Maybe it's because I'm often either extolling the virtues of a new eatery, boutique, fitness class, bikini waxer etc., or conversely, condemning one thing of another. Basically, I'm all about spreading the word – something my likely annoyed Twitter followers can attest to. Nevertheless, for the first weekly edition of "Val, where do I . . .", the question is: where do I go for a casual, inexpensive, but delicious dinner on a weeknight in Montreal? Below are my top 5 picks in no particular order.

Hwang Kum
5908 Sherbrooke St. W., (at Clifton Ave.,), 514-487-1712, major cards accepted.
The best Korean I've had in the city to-date, Hwang Kum serves up classic dishes in a fuss-free environment. Try: Kimchi pancake, beef bibimbap, cold black noodles and barbequed marinated beef.

Perennial favourite bibimbap
Kaza Maza
4629 Parc Ave., 514-844-6292, major cards accepted.
Readers of Val's Bites may recall the spat I got into with the owner concerning an overly smokey baba ganoush, however, said dish is the only thing I've tried at Kaza Maza that I didn't positively adore. Plus, this Syrian and Lebanese restaurant features live music most nights of the week, and they do brunch too! Try: fattoush, hummus, mutabbal (a puree of roasted beets that is an absolute MUST), fried cheese cigars, lamb shank "friki".

The incomparable mutabbal at Kaza Maza 

Bistro Isakaya
3469 Parc Ave., 514-845-8226, major cards accepted.
While the interior of this Japanese restaurant is nothing to get excited about, the food, particularly the fresher than fresh fish – is song and dance worthy. Rest assured I'll give you the full scoop in Montreal Sushi Crisis Part II. Try: tuna cocktail, seaweed salad, Age-Nasu (fried eggplant in bonito broth), wild salmon sashimi, toro sashimi, Isakaya roll, soft shell crab roll, kamikaze roll.

Tuna cocktail at Isakaya 
Kazu
1862 Ste. Catherine St. W., 514-937-2333, cash and debit only. 
The line outside doesn't lie: Kazu rocks. It's so good in fact, you'll forgot you're practically sitting on top of your neighbour in this squishy Japanese pub, where there's always something new and unusual to savour. Try: Beef Carpaccio, tuna and salmon bowl.

Pizzeria Magpie
16 Maguire St., 514-507-2900, major cards accepted.
A quadruple threat offering a cozy, but decidedly cool atmosphere, friendly service, affordable prices, and pizza from a wood burning oven that is sure to elicit bizarre, euphoric sounds. Meanwhile, carnivores can get their meat-on thanks to an on-site meat locker displaying house-cured charcuterie. Try: artichoke, spinach, Fontina and Parmesan cheese pizza; caramelized onion, black olive, ricotta and oregano pizza.

5 More Places that fit the bill: Laurier Gordon Ramsay, Icehouse, Maison India, Pizzeria Napoletana and Pho Lien

Picture says it all. 

4 comments:

  1. Pizzeria Napoletana is a fave of my 5 year old! Strangely, every time we order, he always ends up eating my plate instead of his though... We don't go often enough just because I'm a plastic girl and they take only cash. Cool list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Val for a really valuable list. These restaurants would also work great with kids, which is a real bonus! I always love your posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Agreed that cash only is very annoying... and your 5 year old has good taste:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaza Maza, yummmmmmm!

    Next post: leggingsaspants! leggingsaspants! It's getting more and more offensive as the weather gets colder...

    ReplyDelete

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.