Thursday 29 September 2011

You heard it here: Italian fashion label MSGM has all the right ingredients

I never shop on the second floor of Holt Renfrew (Montreal). It's a dangerous place where innocent women get lured into the sartorial underworld by the likes of Marni, Miu Miu and Givenchy (to name a few), only to emerge forever changed – and in debt. For this reason, if it hadn't been for the strategic placement of the MSGM frocks right by the escalators leading up to the more “affordable” third floor, I would never have came across this cool, young and yes – relatively affordable line from Milan, Italy.

Though there were only four different styles hanging, my eyes immediately zeroed in on the colour blocked tunics that screamed “Twiggy”, as well as “buy me”. While my friends know I love eighties fashion (what can I say, studs do it for me), sixties mod dresses are huge this season, and it's no surprise given they combine Celine-esque minimalism that's still all the rage, while being fun and sexy in an insouciant way.

As soon as I slipped on the black and white shift with pocket flaps at the bottom and slit in back ($295), I felt like something out of a Pierre Cardin ad, and I loved it. I also love that I can slip a thin black turtle-neck underneath and some black opaque tights for a more conservative, school-girl look, or I can pair it with black leather leggings, ankle boots and chunky bracelets for a night out. It's comfortable yet stylish, and how refreshing to find something with the “Made in Italy” tag at this price. Plus, since it's black and white, I can go wild with accessories – amazing.  

This photo doesn't do the dress justice, it's all bout the fit and soft, luxurious fabric

The aforementioned pocket flaps

Researching MSGM online, I discovered it was founded by designer Massimo Girogetti, in partnership with the Paoloni Group. The brand, which got its footing between 2008-2010, cites “indie music” “contemporary art” and “the kaleidoscope aesthetic and artistic expression connected to the Internet” as its inspiration. I also learned the Fall-Winter 2011-12 collection isn't limited to sixties-style dresses, and features a whole-range of stand-out pieces, including a fur-lined hooded poncho with massive checks in grey, black and red, a floor-length cobalt blue and black v-neck jumper, and a red and black polka-dot silk dress with ties in the back. No wonder in 2010 Vogue Italia named the line one of the year's best discoveries among the new generation of designers.

In Montreal, MSGM is only available at Holt Renfrew, and the stock is limited (if it's still there!). However, heavy weights like Asia's Lane Crawford; and Matches, Harvey Nichols and Joseph in the UK have already snapped it up, so keep this line on your fashion radar because I have an inkling it's only gonna get bigger from here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.