Thursday 10 November 2011

Bits of wisdom from a 24 year-old

I am 24 years old today. Today, I am 24 years old. Hmm, maybe if I keep saying it I'll start to believe it. Doubtful. Anyways, I have two choices: I can cry and wallow in self pity as I think of all the things I have yet to accomplish, or I can eat cake (from Cocoa Locale no less), and share some of the wisdom I've gained during my time on this planet. You've probably heard some, or most of it before, but in the event that you haven't, perhaps I can spare you some of the mistakes I've made while helping to enrich your lives (I can't believe I just wrote that). Be forewarned, there will be plenty of cheesiness so grab your barf bag in advance. Here we go...

1. Don't skimp on quality shoes or a good haircut. Both can make or break a woman and you don't want to be a broken woman now do you? Come to think of it, the same applies for men too.

2. Listen to your parents and older siblings as they might actually know a thing or two about life considering they've been alive longer. Try to learn from their mistakes and achievements and make an effort (if/when possible) to foster bonds with them and other members of your family. At the end of the day, family is the MOST important thing.

3. It's better to have a few great friends than a lot of so-so friends. If you find your so-so friends aren't adding anything to your life and are actually keeping you from building stronger relationships with the friends who are always there for you (well almost always, nobody's perfect), then bid them adieu. Remember, it's about quality and not quantity.

4.  Don't go to an esthetician, masseuse, or any service professional for that matter without a referral or some thorough research. The last thing you want is to end up with a toe fungus and one pant-leg shorter than the other.

5. Don't squeeze pimples! If you want to know how to properly pop a pimple, watch this video from Dr. Oz.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Dr-Oz-Demonstrates-How-to-Properly-Pop-a-Pimple-Video 

6. Admitting you need help and asking for it isn't a sign of weakness – quite the opposite actually. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to lean on your loved ones during hard times and/or to seek professional help. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE goes through rough times and if people aren't willing to be there for you when you're not at your best – to hell with them.

7. Comparing yourself to others is a recipe for disaster. For example: "everyone has a boyfriend and I don't". First of all, that's factually incorrect, second of all, it only exacerbates the problem. In grade one I learnt that everyone is different, not better or worse, just different, and today it's something I have to remind myself of regularly. Besides, I whole heartedly believe everything happens for a reason. Wishful thinking?

8. No matter the situation, always be yourself. One of the best compliments I've ever received was when a good friend said to me: "no matter what, you're always Val". When I thought about it I realized it's true, and I felt proud to not have changed who I am so that others would like me more. I don't like myself all the time – not even close, but push comes to shove I wouldn't want to be anyone else. I simply wouldn't know how to. I never was that good of an actress.

9.  Happy people are attractive people. Smile. If you have to fake it till you make it, that's okay too.

10. Your body is the most important thing you have, so treat it as such. Don't eat processed crap and eat organic and local food when possible. Be sure to incorporate plenty of fruits and vegetables and drink copious amounts of water. And exercise! Try different fitness classes, sports, trainers etc. to figure out what you like and then just do it. Shake things up from time to time. Don't feel guilty about sometimes canceling plans because you have to exercise, taking care of our bodies and in turn our minds is the best thing we can do for ourselves. This also means getting enough sleep, and finding ways to cope with our stress and anxiety. Oh, and floss for God's sake!

And one more for good luck: Stop obsessing over what others think of you; most of the time they're too busy thinking about their own lives. I mean that in the best way possible.

3 comments:

  1. You are pretty wise for a 24 year-old ;). Didn't use my barf bag even once. Keep on wising up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise, always good to hear a little motivational speaking! No matter how many times I tell it to myself, it's different hearing it from another person. Hold on though, if this is the wisdom that comes at 24, what about when we hit a quarter-century??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. I forgive you for postponing our plans because of hip hop abs and I admire the will power you have to keep up the very healthy lifestyle. You are a great role model! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Blogging isn't nearly as much fun if I don't hear from YOU, so tell me what YOU think.